The menu of our hikes is based on meat or fish dishes. And, of course, we recommend sticking to it. But what to do if you are vegetarian and not ready to eat meat even in the mountains?
We should divide all our programs into two types: we cook ourselves, or people cook for us/it is possible to order food.
The second type includes all treks in Nepal, climbing Kilimanjaro and similar routes. There is absolutely no problem here.
But these are not so many programs, in the vast majority the guide and the people on duty do the cooking.
The guide makes a schedule and buys food for the whole group, if possible, taking into account the wishes of members. If someone doesn't eat meat, it is not so easy for the guide to change it in the menu and fit to the tastes.
That's why we do it in the following way:
- The guide prepares the main dishes and gives the vegetarians until they put the meat in there. Or the guide gives boiling water.
- We give you 5% off the base cost of the hike (only where we cook ourselves), which you use to buy meat substitutes for yourself. Things that don't need to be cooked.
- The guide purchases food for you as a regular member (minus the meat). That is, at snacks you get a standard portion of bread, cheese, nuts, sweets. At meals, porridge or soup, before meat gets there.
- When buying foods, choose high-calorie ones. Get more cheese; vegetarians often don't get enough of it at our standard layouts. But remember that you have to carry it all – buy no more than 2 kg for any trip. The guide will give you some more public groceries or equipment (depending on the route).
- Be sure to bring a few bags of dried or freeze-dried food (the kind that you can pour boiling water and have ready to go). In some cases, the guide uses dried meat, which takes longer to cook, and you don't always have the option of lean porridge/soup. Boiling water, on the other hand, you can. This kind of food is usually available at any travel store, and at most of them we have discounts.
- All kinds of energy bars are good on hikes.
- Do not take anything that crumples or spoils quickly.
Be well-fed and full of energy, friends!