For many, travel is a way of life, a way of moving forward. After all, when we travel, we not only discover new countries and regions, get to know new cultures and learn something unique. To a greater extent, we discover the real us, show our strength and true feelings. But many of us, no matter how much we would like it, most of the time we have to spend at home or at work. And miss traveling, remembering past trips. We suggest at such moments to dive into the world of cinema and together with the movie characters to go for adventures in a new country. We have compiled for you the top of the best travel movies.
Put all worries aside, make a cup of Nepalese masala tea, make yourself comfortable on the couch with your pet, and enjoy watching. Maybe one of these movies will jog your memory of your last trip or give you an idea for a new trip on your next vacation. This list of the best travel movies is based on Imdb ratings.
Not only do you want to watch travel movies, but also go hiking or climbing in person? – Choose a program on our website and apply for participation. Or contact our managers – they will help you choose the best itinerary for you!
Top 15 best travel movies
- “Into the Wild” , Imdb 8.1 – The film is based on real events based on the book by John Krakauer. A successful student after graduation sells all of his possessions, gives the money he earns to charity, and goes on a journey with no definite purpose. People who meet on his way somehow help him to make up his mind in this life and he ends up in Alaska. The film is notable for the fact that all the locations are real. The whole crew had to travel all over the country to create this masterpiece.
- “Cast Away“, Imdb 7.8 – is a film about a man who accidentally lands on a desert island and experiences firsthand what it’s like to be Robinson Crusoe. A must-see for all tourists!
- “Che Guevara: Diarios de motocicleta“, Imdb 7.8 – this film is about young Ernesto Guevara, nicknamed Che, who went on an exciting journey across Latin America on a motorcycle with his comrade. The film shows Che Guevara not as a famous revolutionary, but as a simple young man who wanted to learn something new and help his people. Throughout the film, you will see many beautiful landscapes and experience many adventures with the main characters.
- “Everything Is Illuminated“, Imdb 7,4 — is a biographical film based on the book of the same name. A young American decides to find the girl in Ukraine who saved his Jewish grandfather from the Nazis during World War II. They have difficult but fun adventures in western Ukraine, where few people understand English.
- “The Way“, Imdb 7,4 — a young boy goes to France to walk the Trail of St. James, but dies. The grief-stricken father quits his successful job as a doctor in California, arrives to claim his son’s body, but decides to stay and take the Camino Trail instead in order to better understand his son and collect his thoughts. This movie closes the top five best travel movies.
- “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty“, Imdb 7,3 — This film about the adventures of an office loser shouts from the screen, “Don’t be afraid, take risks, change the world! The 48-year-old Hollywood comedian Ben Stiller, who, in theory, should have been tired of all this a long time ago, clearly showed us his teenage fervor. But the wrong guy was attacked. You’ll also fall in love with Iceland after the movie, because most of the scenes were filmed there, and you’ll want to go hiking in the northern beauty!
- “Out of Africa“, Imdb 7,2 — one of the best films made in “African settings,” tells the love story of a Danish baroness and an African hunter. “Out of Africa” became a classic as soon as it was released. Seven Oscars to prove it.
- “Kon-Tiki“, Imdb 7,2 — Imagine yourself on a small rickety raft in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. All around you are huge whales, treacherous currents, hungry sharks, a thundering storm, and a tearing wind. What started out as a journey turns into a real battle for life. All these emotions and feelings are in the film, whose characters set out into the ocean in search of the truth, and found themselves.
- “The Darjeeling Limited“, Imdb 7,2 — a sympathetic tragicomedy about three brothers who meet for the first time after their father’s death and embark on a trip to India. This incredible trip brings them closer together and helps everyone get to know themselves. With this film, you’ll be able to experience the flavor of an exotic Asian country.
- “Seven Years in Tibet“, Imdb 7,1 — A young, ambitious daredevil, dreaming of glory, sets out to conquer one of the most dangerous peaks in the Himalayas. He spends seven long years in the Tibetan mountains and returns a completely different person. This movie rightfully closes the top 10 best travel movies.
- “Wild”, Imdb 7,1 — After the death of her mother, a distraught and grief-stricken girl sets out on a long hike through the Sierra Nevada mountains. She has almost 2,000 kilometers of trail ahead of her, many meetings, reflections, and problems that she will have to face and endure alone.
- “The Beach“, Imdb 6,7 — an adventure thriller starring Leonardo DiCaprio that has inspired many young people on a desperate journey in search of their paradise. The protagonist goes with his new friends to a mysterious island, where paradise becomes a reality…
- “The Art of Travel“, Imdb 6,4 — The film is about a man who abruptly changes his life and embarks on a journey of his dreams. Along the way, he meets good people with whom he experiences the incredible beauty of nature.
- “Around the World in 80 Days“, Imdb 5,9 — is based on the famous novel of the same name by Jules Verne. The eccentric London inventor Phileas Fogg presents a very appealing image to travelers – a professional ready to take risks and prove himself to the world. The scientist’s wager with the Royal Academy of Sciences turns into a mad, round-the-world race by land, sea, and air. The adventures in which Fogg, his footman Passepartout and beautiful companion Monique find themselves take place in the most exotic places on the planet.
- “Eat Pray Love“, Imdb 5,8 — A married woman suddenly realizes that she is unhappy. After her divorce, she decides to travel around the world to find herself and restore her mental equilibrium. A favorite movie of many girls.
Of course, this is by no means a complete list of all the films that describe adventures from the lives of travelers, whether they travel around the world or just move to another city. We have tried to select the most popular and interesting ones. If you have a favorite movie to recommend to other travelers – write in comments.
Enjoy watching it!